Open Door

Open Door
Indianapolis, Indiana

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Back Porch Wall Structural Issue



As I said on Tuesday, we are hoping to get much done on the Bungalow in a very short time frame. After the main floor structure gets supported properly we need to begin work on the South wall of the back porch. This is an exterior wall, and it is beginning to buckle outwards where the floor level of the house meets the wall.


Exterior South Wall, picture taken in April of 2011. 
 
A close up of the "buckled" area.


Eric thinks that it will be fairly easy to repair, but I am not so sure. It has obviously been an issue for a while as on the inside there is a gap that has been filled will spray foam. While I do understand that sometimes a "make do" option is necessary I’m beginning to wish that spay foam would be banned. It is not a cure all! But was used as such by someone in the past, and I’m sure that I am not the only person cursing its existence. :D Just getting this cleaned up is going to be a lot of work. 


This is cropped from a larger picture, but you can see the evil spray foam along the bottom of the wall and door.



Yet more spay foam! This was under one of the kitchen counters.


This is one of the main things that we will be working on over the next two weekends. It’s a priority because the back door will get much use by the dogs. So, once I know what the repair plan is, I’ll pass that on, so others can use this as a resource in the future instead of turning to a spray foam Band-Aid!

-Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment