Open Door

Open Door
Indianapolis, Indiana

Sunday, April 28, 2013

It's Spring!

Spring is actually here and my mind has strayed from doing the research on the house. It's just so hard to sit at the computer when I can be looking through seed catalogs and drawing garden plans.

So, yes, we're in gardening mode around here. We haven't consistently gardened in years due to allergies. But last year I planted in pots on the patio and the fresh veggies were a big success. It reawakened the farming genes in my own roots.

We quickly found out that rabbits can get into 36 inch tall pots. The dogs, also, liked snacking directly from the plants. Avon stuck mainly to the tomatoes. Unfortunately, Hagen ate most of the jalapenos and bell peppers. We even moved them to sit on a 3 foot tall bench but that didn't even slow him down.

This year, with Ron's help, we've decided to do some square foot gardening in the back yard in addition to the pots. Today, Ron is fencing in the area to try and put an end to the snacking!

We're trying to do our own seedlings - Ron even made me a light stand! Not only was I late getting some of the cool weather veggies started but I'm learning a lot. I can't remember the last time I actually started my own seedlings.

Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts & Cabbage

Several types of bush green beans and a zucchini

Lighted plant stand

So that's what I've been up to rather than doing my research. It is my fault there was only 1 blog this week. I promise I'll get back to it soon. Please bare with me while I try to get refocused.

No comments:

Post a Comment