Open Door

Open Door
Indianapolis, Indiana

Monday, December 30, 2013

Sunday Quiet



It is Sunday afternoon and very quiet. Eric and the dogs are at the office and I have exactly forty-three minutes to absorb the peace and beauty around me before I have to leave. We are going to a movie with my parents, brother, and niece. Eric and I slept in this morning. I sit at my dining room table, a table from my childhood, and I am looking out the windows on a scene that brings me great joy. It sounds like a normal Sunday in an average life. But for me, it’s much more than that. Today is not for work, illness, frustration, roadblocks, heartaches, and sadness. Today is for complete content and unmitigated joy. In a few minutes I will have my family. Right now I have peace, beauty, and quiet.
 

I am sitting in the dining room at the Bungalow. We slept here last night. I have been watching fluffy white clouds in a light blue sky move across and disappear behind the long neglected and broken relic that is my new neighbor. The tattered ends of a bright blue tarp tap gently against pink and orange brick and waist high weeds dance gaily in a cold winter wind. It is beautiful. But mostly what I see is that I AM HERE. At a resting place on this journey, sitting in my dining room in the Bungalow. There is heat, furniture, water, and electricity. I am in my pajamas with bare feet. A chance to breathe, relax and to simply enjoy the beauty that is around me. Tomorrow and the days that follow I will tell you about all of the ups and downs of the last month. But today is for joy. And I am here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment